Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg


Checkliste - Nach der Einreise
Checklist 3 - after arrival.pdf (231.1 KB)  vom 19.02.2013


Petra Lohse
Referentin Internationales Servicebüro - Wissenschaftler

phone: +49 345 55 21536
fax: +49 345 55 27427

Universitätsring 19/20
D-06108 Halle

postal address:
Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg
International Office
D-06099 Halle

Further settings

Login for editors

After arrival

Welcome to Germany! We hope you had a good trip!

Before everything has "really kicked off" you may initially have some paperwork at the University and with the authorities that needs to be done.

Application in the Office of Citizen Services and the Immigration Office

After your arrival in Germany, you should as soon as possible (within a week!) Report at the registration office, from which you will receive a registration certificate. To register you will need your passport, visa and your lease/ proof of an apartment.

The sign-up at the registration office is mandatory for everyone.
Any foreign visitor from a non-EU country which intends to stay longer than three months in Germany must also report to the immigration office to apply for a residence permit.

Documents required for registration:

• Passport
• visa
• Civil Service registration certificate (registration office)
• passport photo
• Proof of health insurance
• Proof of residence / lease
• Employment
• Scholarship at: Certificate of scholarship fund

Extra office hours during the
Winter term 2012/2013
Registration office:
Stadt Halle (Saale)
Amt für Bürgerservice
Marktplatz 1
06108 Halle (Saale
October 10, 2012:
12.00 - 3.00 p.m.
October 17, 2012:
12.00 - 3.00 p.m.
Immigration office:
Stadt Halle (Saale)
Ressort Ausländer- und Asylwesen
Am Stadion 5
06122 Halle (Saale)
October 24, 2012:
8.00 a.m. - 2.00 p.m.
November 21, 2012:
8.00 a.m. - 2.00 p.m.


Ausländerbehörde in Halle

Am Stadion 5
06122 Halle (Saale)

phone: +49 345 221 5305
fax: +49 345 221 5312

Di, Do, Fr 8.00-12.00 Uhr
Di 13.00-18.00 Uhr
Do 13.00-15.30 Uhr

Bank account

After your arrival, you should seek to open a checking account at a bank, so the content of the University or the scholarship may be transferred to your German bank account.
Compare the best services (terms and account management fees) of different banks. Maybe your country has an agreement with a German bank?

For a stay of less than 3 months in Germany opening a bank account not required.

To open an account you will need:

  • valid passport
  • registration certificate or residence permit

The following “partner” banks are located near the University:

Postbank FinanzcenterGroße Steinstraße 72
SaalesparkasseGroße Steinstraße 74
Norisbank GmbHGroße Ulrichstraße 19
Commerzbank AGMarktplatz 10
Deutsche BankLeipziger Straße 87-92
Volksbank Halle eGWilhelm-Külz-Straße 2

Health insurance

During a study period and / or research stay in Germany health insurance is required. This also applies to accompanying family members (spouse and children). If necessary, check that their health insurance in their home country covers doctor and hospital expenses and bears unforeseen costs before traveling to Germany.

For researchers from EU countries a liberation of compulsory insurance in Germany is possible although most will carry an Europäische Versicherungskarte (European Health Insurance Card – EHIC), while academics from non-EU countries must bring proof of insurance from their home country or obtain health insurance in Germany with a statutory or private health insurance provider. Generally, you can choose whether you take out health insurance privately or publicly, this is dependent on, among other things by your residency status and your income.

Information sheet "Europäische Krankenversicherungskarte" (EHIC)
Infosheet European Health Insurance Card_04_2013.pdf (11.9 KB)  vom 09.04.2013

Some of the best known public health insurance providers:

Techniker Krankenkasse (TK)
AOK - The Health Fund
Barmer GEK
DAK health
IKK Innungskrankenkasse
BKK Betriebskrankenkasse

Should foreign scholars have no adequate health insurance coverage, it is advisable to take out insurance in addition to the length of stay in Germany at the insurance office of the DAAD. The group insurance, however, can only take the DAAD, DAAD scholarship holders and groups that are funded by DAAD partner organizations.

For more information: DAAD Group Insurance - Combined health, accident and personal liability insurance through the group policy of the DAAD.

A list of private health insurance can be found on the website of the Association of Private health insurance (PHI).

Family insurance

Family insurance in Germany is the free co-insurance for family members of members of the statutory health insurance. Family members are the spouse or registered domestic partner and children (up to the age of 18).

Liability Protection

In the blink of an eye a little carelessness or improper reaction can cause great damage. Under German law, you are liable for damages. Liability insurance protects you from the financial consequences and checks whether you are responsible for any or all damages that may occure.
Please inform yourself about possible local insurance packages.

Tip! DAAD Group Insurance

The DAAD offers group insurance corresponding to the following examples, i.e. a combined health, accident and personal liability insurance. The group insurance, however, can take only the DAAD DAAD scholarship holders and groups that are funded by DAAD partner organizations. Detailed information can be found on the pages of the DAAD   .

Stay with family

If you bring your family including children, you will find various services at the University of Halle that center around children and family care. You can find a brief overview of these services below.

Child care in day care centers
The Studentenwerk Halle(studet Union) provides student parents with children aged 0 to 6 years, two day-care centers for child care in Weinberg in Hall and in Köthen. Children of student parents are preferentially taken.

For more information, see the Studentenwerk Halle web page   .

The City of Halle has a variety of child care centers. The amount of the fee depends on the particular device and the permanent care of the child. More information can be found on the City of Halle web page.

Family office Halle (Familienbüro Halle)
The Halle family office offers advice to studying parents. On the website you will find many useful links, etc. for:

• Self care for children
• special Sport-/Free time offers for children with studying parents
• information around working with children
• services for young families
• legal regulations

For further questions, you can contact the employees of the office directly:
Mondays from 11 to 13 hrs
Wednesdays from 13 to 15 hrs

Dates are also available by appointment outside of office hours.

Phone: 0345/5521357