Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg

Das Löwengebäde am Universitätsplatz


Esther Smykalla
Referentin Internationale Forschung / Wissenschaftlermobilität

phone: +49 345 55 21538
fax: +49 345 55 27427

Universitätsring 19/20
D-06108 Halle

postal address:
Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg
International Office
D-06099 Halle (Saale)

Further settings

Login for editors

Funding Opportunities for Research and Teaching at the Martin Luther University

Would you like to have a teaching or research residency at the Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg? Find out more about some of the funding programs and the funding institutions below.

MLU Internally

If you are a scientist at one of our numerous partner universities, and you would like to come to Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg to perform your research, the rectorship of the Martin Luther University provides a limited amount of central funding for the maintenance of international relations. The application process is organized by the scientists at the MLU. If interested, please contact your colleagues in Halle.

MLU Externally

Erasmus +

The Erasmus + Program has been promoting cooperation between universities in Europe by offering financial support for international mobility of students, faculty and staff. If you are from an Erasmus partner university of the MartinLuther University and would like to come to the MLU under the Staff Mobility Program, please contact the International Office at the university in your home country.

Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung

For over 150 years, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (AvH) has funded research visits for scientists from abroad in Germany. The various programs at the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation for postdoctorate fellows, junior research group leaders, experienced researchers as well as internationally renowned scientists can be found here   .


The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) supports foreign scientists working at universities or research institutions, who would like to carry out a research project at a state or state-recognized higher education or non-university research institution. More   

In addition, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), supports the residencies of foreign guest lecturers at German universities. More   

Fulbright Commission

The academic exchange between the U.S. and Germany is funded by the Fulbright Commission. More   


The German Research Foundation (DFG) supports cooperation with foreign partners in its funding process with a variety of instruments. Generally speaking, in all forms of project funding, the necessary resources for an international cooperation can always be applied for too. Cooperation projects with foreign partners will in general be supported considering the principle of mutual responsibility: scientists working in Germany need to contact the DFG, their overseas partners, on the other hand, respective funding institutions in their own country. This is particularly applicable to institutions with which the DFG has negotiated an agreement for the joint promotion of scientific cooperation. More   

Useful links

Research in Germany

Introductory portal to the German research landscape, aimed at foreign scholars, multipliers from politics and economics, as well as journalists, including an overview of funding opportunities.

[ more ... ]   

EURAXESS Deutschland    


The National Coordination Office at the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (supported by the Federal Ministry for Education and Research) is an information and advisory center for internationally mobile researchers. In addition to information for scientists who would like to come to Germany and for researchers who would like to go abroad, on the EURAXESS information portal you shall also find information for researchers who would like to return to Germany after an extended research stay in another country.

The Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg has been a part of the EURAXESS Services Network since February 2012.

[ more ... ]