Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg

Further settings

Login for editors

Information on Brexit for UK students

ERASMUS+ projects after 1 January 2021

The European Commission has confirmed that UK institutions which have successfully applied for an Erasmus+ grant in 2020 can extend their Erasmus+ project to 31 May 2023. Some universities will therefore be able to participate in Erasmus+ until this date, despite the UK not participating in the new Erasmus+ Programme. Please consult your international office if Erasmus+ partnerships are still upheld.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

The UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) continues to be valid in the EU and will soon be replaced with a new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). This new card will provide cover in EU countries (further information:   ).

Regulations for UK nationals who want to enter Germany after 1 January 2021

For longer-term stays in Germany, such as for study purposes, newly arriving UK nationals do not require a visa. After entering the country, however, they must apply for a residence permit from the foreigners authority in Halle. Citizens of the British overseas territories ("British Nationals (Overseas)") are also exempt from the visa requirement.

Information on long stay national visas (D visas)

Information provided by the German Missions in the United Kingdom

[ more ... ]   

Information on visa regulations for UK nationals

Information provided by the Federal Foreign Office

[ more ... ]   

Visa Services at the German Missions in the UK

Information provided by the German Missions in the UK

[ more ... ]   

Information for UK nationals and their family members about the right of residence provided for in the Withdrawal Agreement

Information provided by the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community

[ more ... ]   

Effects of Brexit on UK nationals’ right of residence in Germany (UK nationals who entered Germany before 1 January 2021)

From 1 January 2021, persons who were entitled to live or work in Germany (or another EU member state) until that date and who also exercised that right will essentially have the same rights as they had before Brexit. Provided these rights were exercised, they will be effectively frozen.

In order to be able to provide evidence that you have rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, however, you must have a document that you can obtain from the foreigners authority.

UK nationals living in Germany on 31 December 2020 and continuing to live in Germany after that date must report their residence to the foreigners authority responsible for their place of residence by 30 June 2021 in order to be able to obtain the new residence document.